Today marks the first day of routine 2009. I am thankful we are back into a routine or shall I say trying. I liked the boys being home but routine is bliss. With the boys off to school I am trying to set up a routine for Lolah and I so she can get a grip on the fact that her first three weeks in Canada is "not" dare I say reality. One has to wonder what she thinks of all these gifts, parties with her friends, endless food and chocolate...so yes she is a happy girl who wouldn't be. With all the partying aside I believe she will still be a very happy girl. Yesterday I bought her a little cabinet to organizer her toys. When I brought it home and explained it was for her she started vibrating and dancing. She ran back and forth between Darryn and I kissing us. She was doing the happy dance until Darryn started to put it together with her. She stuck with him for almost 2 hours helping him put it together. Once one drawer was done you would hear the infamous da da danna! nice and loud with arms extended (like one Bob Barker's beauties)to show off the new addition of a drawer. Darryn just loves to hear her do this and basked in each da da danna! Oh the joy she brings with her excitement of each new possession. I am thinking she is one who never has had anything that was her very own. Considering this she is doing very well at sharing providing we explain at the outset which items are for sharing.
What is life with out a few good friends. Lolah is just embarking on this journey and she has found a few treasures so far. Karen, came by for a visit shortly after we arrived home to allow our girls to have a play date. Check out the pictures. They say it all especially when Lolah leaned over and spontaneously kissed Naomi. The play date ended with Lolah in tears. She was devastated when they left. She
went to get her coat thinking she was going with them. Karen and I both ached for her. They have had many play dates since and many more to come. Ahh friendship don't we all wish the fun times together never had to end. With a New Year's Eve family sleepover at the Klassen's, Darryn and I have had a few extended visits that we sort of wished did not have to end either.
Another first has been swimming. We thought she was an old pro by the way she ventured into the water with such confidence. We soon figured out after a little solo underwater excursion that she was not. Her swimming confidence lacked some zest after that but thank goodness to my tecky friend Karen whom she affectionately calls AYI(auntie) Karen she is gaining fast. Today Karen had her dunking her head underwater to grab a toy. Considering Lolah would not let go of me at first, Karen's help was greatly appreciated. Way to go Lolah and Karen.
We may have another hockey player also. She tried skating on the weekend when our adoption group rented the ice. She laced on a pair of boys skates and loved it. Later, on The Klassen's home rink she was out slapping the puck around wearing boots. She has a wicked shot but the wind up may have a certain goalie intimidated. Look out Poppa a potential decline in your GPA .
Lolah attended her first birthday party on December 29th. Her new (another first) friend Naomi was turning 6. And what a party it was. There were 12 interesting and entertaining critters to look at, touch and sometimes hold. Lolah is not a reptile fan. Seriously what must this little girl be thinking as she gazes upon a reticulated python around her brothers neck and has a chinchilla on her head?
I hope she continues to take all new adventures in stride as she appears to be doing. What a great attitude to carry through life.
Going for a GT ride in the back yard is always a favorite for any child that comes to our house and Lolah was no exception. She was quite reluctant at first but quickly decided it was too much fun to pass up. The Ben, Caleb and Katie Q. were over for a visit and Darryn always up for an opportunity to operate something with a motor, fired up the old Toyota 4Runner and pulled the crew around the yard. This has been a family tradition since Jordon was 8 years old. I think he would probably still like to go for a ride. You have to love family tradition they create such amazing memories and we now have a little pink treasure to enjoy them with.
Her language is coming along slowly but steadily. She has been with us for 43 days, 32 of them in Canada. I am keeping a log of the words and phrases she is using. She probably has 10 phrases but the one that brings about amazement is when she says, "Hi, How are you?". She says it without an accent and truly appears to wants to know how you are. One is tempted to engage in a conversation with her and some do, until I tell them she only speaks mandarin. Social settings still bring about some anxiety and she does not really like to say hello when we ask her to respond to someone who has said hi. She often hides her face and ignores the conversation. I am sure it is difficult to be asked questions and not be able to answer. I have complete confidence she will be quite the chatter box once she gets going. So all of you who she has slighted, hang in there your time is coming. I may be glad for the break.
The boys have been incredible in tolerating her habits that need some taming. I have to say they are special little boys who show her so much grace. They understand so well for their age that she has not been taught many social skills. They have been scolded, hit, grabbed from and not shared with numerous times and not once retaliated. Leevi and Simon you make our hearts very happy and we are proud of you. Both of you are little gentlemen and one day Lolah will understand what a gold mine she hit when she became your sister.
As for Jordon the love runs deep already. On the way home from church I was calling her my bow bae(sweetheart in mandarin) she shook her head no in her little I want conflict way with a grin.
"No poppa bow bae."
So I engaged and said ok, Leevi, Simon and Jordon are momma's bow bae."
She said " no, ga ga Jordon wa bow bae" (No big brother Jordon my
sweetheart)
How cute:) Any opportunity to be with Jordon and Allie is always optimized to the max. Jordon we are also very proud of you and thankful she has a special spot in your heart like she has in ours.
Well that is it for now. As always I could go on forever. I will continue to post and they may not be very interesting for you but the posts are for Lolah in the future. So enjoy and thanks for joining us.
Janet

No comments:
Post a Comment