Well it once again has been a while and about time I posted.
The family is doing amazing. I can honestly say the transition has been miraculous. Everyone has adjusted without difficulty. I have found it trying sometimes when my name is being called repetitively for an extended period of time at a loud volume. If that is the only issue we extremely fortunate.
Lolah is understanding almost everything we say now. She is speaking in 4 - 6 word english phrases. The chinese is still alive and well. At least we think it is well but how do we know? Summing it up her language is increasing at a rapid rate. She answered the phone the other day and it was my mom. She answered "Lolah speaking" "how are you" I'm good" both Jordon and I were amazed. Jordon was midway downstairs and came back up to listen to the rest of the conversation. The conversation usually ends after the basic salutations. She just cannot carry on the conversation. She usually just shrugs her shoulders says " onea moment pleasa" and hands me the phone. I am happy someone else in the house is answering the phone as the boys just don't seem interested.
The boys and Lolah are getting along just as all your children get along. Some days and moments are great and some days and moments not so much. But for the most part it is amazing. Simon actually leaned over at lunch time today and kissed her out of the blue, 5 minutes later he was telling her not to follow him and shortly there after he was playing hide and seek with her. Normal, very normal! Leevi seems to take the big brother/protector role very seriously when she is at school visiting.
The school has been co-incidently studying China. I had gone in a couple of times and spoke at chapel about China's country and their life style. They invited Lolah and I back the third week for a Lunar New Year and welcome to Canada party. They truly surprised us with many uniquely Canadian gifts. I was so impressed by the creativity and generosity of the families. She received maple syrup, Canada pin, photo of Niagara Falls, frozen pork chops and home made applesauce (Canadian grown), olympc scarf, stuffed moose and racoon, a hand made native bracelet, a Remembrance Day pin, a pre- measured cookie mix done up in a mason jar ( red and white), Canada sweatshirt, small flags, and a package containing an item for every season in Canada and some great books and stories Canadian camping. Last but not least a huge Welcome to Canada cake with 2 huge lady bugs on it.
Aren't they a clever bunch. We thank them very very much for making Lolah feel so welcome.
We have been taking Lolah swimming twice a week and she is doing fantastic. Out goal is to have her swimming independently by summer so she can enjoy the Klassen's and Quemby's pool. Not to mention take some worry of us as parents who must watch her. Her skating is coming along slowly but we are not nearly as well as her swimming but then again we are not very consistent with taking her out. She was out recently on her boots on the Klassen's rink and had her first scrape after a minor collision with Lilah. After a few tears and some polysporin she was off again and in the hot tub. She loves to go the the Klassen's for many reasons. Girls, skating, toys and hot tub. Party central.
We have taken a few hikes in the woods recently and I brought along my camera to take pictures of my favorite subjects, kids and nature. On our property on Division Street there was a little pond and they all scraped off the snow and made hockey sticks out of dead trees and started a hockey game. I enjoy watching them when they are being creative. The hike was relaxing and a fun family activity. I am totally enjoying the time off. It has allowed me some more time to do the things I like to do.
We had our first dentist trip with Lolah this week. All three had appointments on the same day. The first thing Lolah told the dentist (in chinese) was "no extractions." Dr. Loung who is chinese found this extremely funny. We have no idea how she knows about extractions.
Leevi came up clean, Simon who has struggles with teeth issues since we adopted him had an abses and Lolah as far as the dentist could see has 6 cavities. We are off to Sick Kid's with Lolah on the 13th of February to find out what we can about her heart disease. The dentist suggested we have Sick Kids look after her teeth because of her congenital heart disease. So we are anxiously awaiting the appointment so we can finally find out what her issue are and become informed.
Some times I find myself worrying when I see a slightly green ooze coming from her nose. I have read and heard basic information about her disease and it says to be careful with infections as they can go directly to her heart and cause major problems. I am counting on the doctor giving me the info I need that pertains to her specifically. Information is crucial to me being an effective and confident parent in regards to her health.
On a side note we have all three properties for sale and are waiting to see which one sells first so we can make some decisions. With the economy the way it is we want to be wise in our financial decisions. This time always causes huge stress and anxiety for me. So bear with me if the claws come out.
Enjoy the snow
Janet

No comments:
Post a Comment